There are many methods to get Windows Phone 7.8 update for a WP 7.5 handset, some of which works and some not. But all those are using some .cab file which contains OS files which are being copied to the device during the update procedure. All of those methods are just updating the OS of the handset, which is not at all bad because you get to taste the goodness of WP 7.8. But what an official update do is, its getting the official carrier/OEM update which includes the firmware. More precisely saying, it brings the hardware specific update. Won't that add much more to it?
Here we are bringing you an all new method to get official 7.8 update directly from Microsoft, much before they officially allow us to do so. The method is all about precision and timing. You have to be ready anytime to disconnect your PC from internet. the update is performed using Zune software. The latest version of WP7.8 is 7.10.8858.136. The method succeeded in updating Nokia Lumia 900 and failed in case of some handsets, say HTC HD7S. So you should be lucky enough to have the update. If you fail to get the update using this, go for the method using CAB file.
How to update
- Connect Windows Phone to PC
- Run Zune software
- Click on Phone > Settings > Update
- Wait until it says whether an update is available or not.
- If available you can directly update it, if not go to the next step.
- Click another button (any of the options above or below the word Update).
- Then click the Update button again and then disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds.(If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again until it gets through to the update stage.)
- Wait around 30 seconds and Zune should display that an update is available.
- Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update.
- Depending on the OS build, you may be prompted for several OS updates
- Wait whle the update. The latest OS build is 8858. If you are getting just 8779, you'll want to repeat the procedure.
- The process will take around an hour and ypu will have WP7.8 build 8858.